senior pictures 101
Senior pictures are an exciting time in your life and something so many people look forward to. Senior pictures are even more fun because you have a professional photographer take your pictures and help you make the day memorable and an experience of a lifetime. These pictures are typically more formal and artistic than regular school portraits and are often used for yearbooks, graduation announcements, and personal keepsakes.
When planning for your senior pictures, here are a few things to consider:
After the photo shoot, you will typically have the opportunity to review the images and select the ones you like best. I offer various packages for prints, or customized photo products.
Remember, senior pictures are a celebration of your achievements and the closing of a significant chapter in your life. Have fun, embrace your individuality, and create lasting memories with your senior portraits. I want to be the one who takes your senior pictures! I would love to work with you and help you have the day of your life.
Ok..I know you’ve been looking at all the pictures I post on Instagram and you’ve probably looked through my website. I’m betting you’re wondering about the parachute dress. “How do I get that?” “Where do I get that dress?” “Can I wear that dress?” When you see the parachute dress, those are the words that come to mind I’m sure! Just look at it. It’s beautiful. The dress is so unique and the pictures we get when the dress flows perfectly is just stunning. Plus, can you even imagine what people would think about your senior pictures if you have this dress on? This dress makes pictures so beautiful, how can your pictures not turn heads? So, sit back ladies and let me tell you about this parachute dress 😊
I am sure you’re wondering how I even came up with the parachute dress idea. Here it is… in all reality I saw another photographer use the iconic dress and when I saw how the pictures turned out, I fell in love. I love the way the dress flows, how unique the pictures turn out and how stunning every girl looks in the dress. I have not seen on girl who doesn’t look like a model when wearing the parachute dress. Just look at the pictures! It’s gorgeous.
Finding the parachute dress was not easy though. I had to search near and far for the dress and our first one comes with some history. It’s a genuine British military parachute from the 1960s that was made into a dress. How cool is that?? How much do you love the sunset parachute dress? We had that one commissioned by an artist to be custom made just for Sarah Lindsay Photography clients.
Want to wear a parachute dress inside? Last year, I got a hold of a silky green parachute dress for use inside! So if you are someone who would rather wear the parachute dress inside instead of outside, I have the perfect dress just for you. Trust me.. when you see it, you’ll be dying to put it on for your senior pictures.
“I want to wear that dress!” After hearing about it and looking at the pictures I am sure you want to know how you can wear the parachute dress. If you sign up for senior pictures with Sarah Lindsay Photography and sign up as VIP senior then it’s as easy as that. You have access to the beautiful parachute dress. Not sure what parachute dress to wear? Think about your location and think about what you want in your pictures. Do you like solid pink or purple? Do you want a little more color and texture with the ombré sunset dress? Do you just want to have the parachute dress inside and go with green? All of these questions will help you decide which dress to go with. So there is is… easy right? I am so excited to see you in the parachute dress!
I want to take your pictures! And I definitely want to take your pictures in the parachute dress. Reach out to get on the calendar and be sure you upgrade to be a VIP senior. I want to be your photographer and make you feel as confident and beautiful as possible!!
Congratulations!! Your senior picture day is here. Senior year is around the corner and before you know it you’ll be onto your next big adventure. However, let’s talk about the day of your senior pictures. What do you need to bring? What’s necessary and what isn’t? What makes the day easier and what is just extra clutter? I’m here to help you put together your senior photo survival kit. If you are needed to know what exactly you should pack for your big day then you’re in the right spot.
Your senior picture photo shoot survival kit should include the following. These items are the most important things to have in your bag. They’ll help make the day go smoother, you’ll feel much better throughout the day and let’s face it, you need small things that are also necessary.
1. Snacks: Let’s face it… we all get a little hangry at times. I am no exception. When you take your senior pictures, it is a long day. We’re constantly moving, we’re changing outfits and traveling to locations. That makes for a strenuous day. Bring some snacks. They can be your favorite treats or something more filling. Either way be sure it’s a snack you can pack with you and that you can eat cleanly. You don’t want jelly from your PB&J dripping on your beautiful white dress.
2. Water: I know that seems like such a simple item but you wouldn’t believe how many times girls forget their water. Usually senior pictures are taken outside in the summer. It’s so hot outside and you need to be sure you stay hydrated. If you feel dehydrated not only will you be sluggish but it will show in your pictures. You want your skin and eyes to be fresh and glowing. Water is the key to having that perfect look!
3. Comfortable shoes: Everyone wants those pictures in the 4 inch heels. Those kinds of shoes are gorgeous and make for stunning pictures. Pair those shoes with a perfect sundress and you’ve got the senior pictures everyone wants. But let’s face it ladies, do you really want to hike up a mountain in heels? I would probably say it’s a safe bet to say no. Be sure you bring comfortable shoes you can walk around in. We can always change when we get to the location you want a picture in. But always having shoes you can walk in is going to make your day easier and you’ll be a lot happier. Trust me, happy feet makes for a happy photo shoot.
Those first three items were must haves in you survival kit. The next items are nice to haves. If you think you will need it. But they won’t make or break your day. These items are more for if you want to have them. You could bring all of these, some of these or non of these. It’s entirely up to you!
1. Accessories: Accessories will obviously be part of your outfit choices. But sometimes, you can’t be entirely sure what you want to wear when you’re choosing. Here is the thing, it’s ok if you don’t know. Sometimes, it’s easier to choose when you’re in the location and when you’re there for the big day. Pack a few extra earrings, scarves, hats… whatever accessories you want. Mix and match them at the location and then choose.
2. Make Up or Hair Accessories: Jessica, our wonderful glamour specialist does a wonderful job on hair and makeup. She is a true professional and her work is incredible. Sometimes, lipgloss can come off though. Sometimes, the sun is so hot and foundation can sweat off (as much as we hate to say we don’t sweat, the truth is, we do!) and hair can get tangled. Having some extra make up or hair items in your bag could be helpful if keeping makeup and hair ready to go is important to you. Be sure you try to match what Jessica did so your makeup looks consistent throughout your pictures.
3. Props you aren’t sure about: Lots of girls like to bring props to their pictures. Balloons, confetti, letterman jacket. All of those items are a fun addition and make for great photos. What about the props you think you want but you’re not sure about? If you are really on the fence, it doesn’t hurt to bring them. We can pull them out, see what we think and play around with it. If you get to the location and decide it’s not for you that is ok. If you get to the location, try out the prop and decide it’s not for you that’s ok too. It never hurts to bring it along just in case. I like to have more than I think I’ll need. Then I’m not panicking that I didn’t bring all I needed. If you have the space, pack it along for the day!
Your senior pictures is a big day so you want to be sure you have all the things you need to make the day go smoothly. Be sure you have snacks, water and comfortable shoes for sure! All other items you can bring if you want to but you definitely don’t have to. Be sure you bring items that help you feel relaxed and confident. Need help packing your day of bag? Let me help you through the process so you can have the perfect senior photo shoot!
When taking your senior pictures, it is normal to want to bring people along. There are plenty of people you could bring and the day with people makes the day so much better! Whoever you choose to bring, be sure you let them know ahead of time what you need during the day. It’s also good to remember that sometimes, too many people is… well… too many. Be sure you think about who makes you comfortable and think about who you truly want with you. In the end, it's entirely up to you who you would like to bring with you. However, here are some suggestions to consider…
1. Friends: Having a loving and trusted friend come to your senior pictures is a great way to help you feel confident and relaxed. Bringing a friend along is also a great way for you to have a very memorable experience. Your senior pictures are a once in a lifetime experience so why not share it with someone special like a friend. Sometimes, our friends are the closest people to us and in that moment of our lives, it’s so rewarding and meaningful to have our chosen family with us. Plus, you’ll have beautiful pictures to remember this time with your friends that you’ll have forever. What’s better?
2. Pets: If you have a furry friend that you adore, consider bringing them along for some pictures. Pets can add a fun and unique element to your photos. Plus, why wouldn’t you want to bring your fur babies with you? They can help you stay calm and relaxed and the best part, you’ll get amazing pictures with the pets you love most. Most places in Colorado is dog friendly which makes pet pictures even easier. Are you a cat lover? Bring your kitty if you want! Have a horse that you love more than anything? Let’s go out and get pictures with your horse. Whatever pet you want to take pictures with let’s get those pictures taken. You won’t regret having your pet come with you! Trust me.
3. Family: The most common people that come to senior pictures is family. Moms, dads, siblings, grandparents. All of these people want to share in the day with you and they are great people to have around that day. They know you the best and they know how to make you smile. Your family is obviously so proud of your achievements so let them be with you during this big day. While they’re there, we’ll be sure to snap a few pictures with your family member. What a great and meaningful way to remember that moment and have these beautiful pictures forever.
No matter who you choose to bring to your senior pictures, or don’t choose, the choice is yours. Who do you want with you during your pictures? Who makes you feel happy? Confident? Relaxed? Who do you want to spend the day with? That is the person (or pet) that you want to bring around to your senior picture photo shoot. Do you need help deciding who to bring? I’ll help you! Let’s get you scheduled and we can discuss day of details like who to bring!! Can’t wait to talk to you!